Monday 24 January 2011

First lesson back at Cake Dec...

For the first lesson back Linda decided to do a demonstration session, which is great as she can show us some more complicated techniques without having to rush through them.
I was really excited about this demonstration as she used the giant cupcake tin which can be bought from a number of places but is shown through the link on Firebox.com.
I have only attempted the giant cupcake once:
This was for Christmas 09 (way before I started cake dec classes) and it was my attempt at a Christmas tree! I know it's not brilliant and one of the main problems I had was getting the cake out of the tin. In cake dec class Linda showed us a product called cake release which as it says helps you get the cake out of the tin! I am definitely investing in some of that for the next time I have a go at this cake.
So.... Linda decorated the giant cupcake and I wasn't expecting this but she used regal ice fondant icing to cover it. I thought the shape of the cake would be lost slightly but she showed us how to use your hands and tools to shape it back into the cake.
Here is the example she made in class:
It was great to see the covering of the cake but she also made a cute little figure to sit on top which was really helpful to see.
Here is another giant cupcake she made before class:
Hopefully you can see the use of the pearl dust on this one and I think that looks great, it really shows off the shape of the cake and adds just that extra something, everybody loves a bit of sparkle! (especially the cake dec lot in my class!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment