Tuesday 7 June 2011

50th Birthday Cake

My latest commission was for a birthday cake for a lady who is a nurse and her family requested that the cake would be her in her uniform. They also asked for the cake to be a madeira cake. Firstly I was worried because I knew the cake would be complicated being in the shape of a person and then because I hadn't baked a madeira cake before.
I started by doing a test cake, taste tested by my work colleagues, it seemed to go down well with them so I was pleased by that.
For the actual cake I baked three rectangular cakes. The first two were layered to form the body/dress which was carved into shape. The other rectangle formed the head, legs and shoes.
I had trouble with the sugar paste on this cake as it was a really warm day, the flat was warm from cooking the cakes and so the paste was sticky and cracking easily, NIGHTMARE!! :-)
With a few patches here and there the cake turned out ok, I know it could have been better but I just had to work with what I had.


No comments:

Post a Comment